OpenJDK packaging bug in Fedora 19

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 11 19:48:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 03:26:33PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Oh, one example is multilib (and I don't believe this behavior is
> > multilib-specific):
> Oh but it is. Multilib is one gigantic undocumented screwup

The specific thing in multilib is that the files can overlap without being
identical. In perfectly normal RPM, two packages can own an identical file
as long as it is actually bit-for-bit identical. (This is, of course,
fragile when there's an update to one package but not the others.)

> that exists only because someone wanted to avoid having to
> repackage everything in the universe to split it into common
> parts and arch specific parts.

That seems like a completely awesome thing to avoid.