OpenJDK packaging bug in Fedora 19

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Thu Jul 11 21:03:53 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> said:
> Then why, in Fedora 18, did yum start giving fatal errors and
> refuse to install packages that tried to create the same
> directory? (Which is why I suspect there are a gazillion
> rpms named "something-filesystem-something.rpm" that just
> create directories for other rpms to install into.)

I think directories are different, especially since it is difficult (at
best) in an automated buildsystem to create them with the same timestamp
(which is part of what RPM evaluates for determining if items are the
"same").

In the past, a bunch of directories just went un-owned, but that caused
other problems, so there was a push to get them all owned.  Some
multilib packages took the separate-RPM approach.

I'd hardly call 24 *-filesystem-*.rpm packages "a gazillion" though. :)
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>