SSD lifetime saving

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Jul 11 21:33:21 UTC 2013

Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina at rktmb.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Just bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD and would like to know how to save
> its lifetime.
> I made this partitionning:
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *        2048    40962047    20480000   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2        40962048    81922047    20480000   83  Linux
> /dev/sda3        81922048  1000215215   459146584   8e  Linux LVM
>
> /dev/sda1 (20GB) is my /
> /dev/sda2 (20GB) will be my / for my F19 install (soon)
>

> Then my HOME is in the LVM
> I also installed several virtual guests using ext4 over LVMs.
>
> I'll take the habit to add the "discard" mount option for my VMs, and
> the hosts system is already "discard" mounted.
>
> What else could I basically setup in order to be SSD friendly?
> Are the fixed size sda1 and sda2 dangerous for those sectors?

Besides backups, use at least RAID-1 --- disks *will* fail, the only
question is when.

You could put the partitions that contain variable data, particularly
/home, /var and /tmp, onto a volume that is on non-SSD drives and keep
everything else mounted read-only as much as possible.  In case you have
their five year warranty and if you're willing to give your disks out of
your hands after you put your data onto them, it probably doesn't matter
when they fail.  They specify 1.5 million hours MTBF --- if there's
anything to that, it should outlast non-SSDs.

You could look at btrfs, if that's an option for you, and see what the
status of it's support for SSDs is.

--
Fedora 18