what has 'yum update' done?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Jul 11 20:27:49 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

> On 07/10/2013 03:06 PM, lee wrote:
>> When upgrading Fedora the way it's recommended works so well, then how
>> come that people are suggesting that it's better/easier to re-install or
>> to use an alternative, untested method?
>>

> There are always going to be people who prefer to start fresh with a
> clean install of every version, and some of them are going to
> recommend it to others, often without explaining why they prefer it.
> The same goes for just about any method that can be used to go from
> one version to the next.  Have you ever considered asking these people
> why the don't like using the official upgrade path?  I know that I
> certainly would before taking their advice, and I'd think long and
> carefully about their reasons, because I understand that what works
> right for them may be exactly the wrong thing for me if my
> circumstances don't match theirs.

I have been assuming that people re-install because their experience is
that upgrading is so troublesome that they figure that they're better
off re-installing.  Why would anyone go to the lengths of re-installing
if there weren't very serious problems with upgrading?

>> Not knowing why upgrading didn't work last time and why merely updating
>> went wrong now is fine to begin with.  However, I'd like to know why
>> things went wrong, and I would gladly contribute to finding out why and
>> how they went wrong so that things can be improved upon.
>
> Have you checked Bugzilla to see if there are any reported bugs with
> effects similar to yours?  If there aren't, have you considered
> reporting this?  If you haven't checked, why not?  (This isn't a
> challenge, BTW, but a serious question; you may have good reasons not
> to be doing this, and if so, I might learn something from them.)

I haven't checked yet because I don't know what to look for.  I have
considered reporting it and haven't yet because I don't know about which
package I should make a bug report and because I don't have any helpful
information to provide yet.  For all I know, what happened might even be
intended, and perhaps everything fixes itself when I actually try to
upgrade.  Besides, I made a bug report last time which didn't seem to
have any outcome (/maybe/ they modified fedup so that it doesn't
overwrite its logfile every time it runs --- at least that's what I'd
suggest ...); another one I made has apparently been moved over to F19
and it might be fixed there, who knows.  Just making a bug report
without real information doesn't seem a very useful thing to do, and I
didn't really have time to look into it yet.

The question is still: What has 'yum update' done?  I only know it did
something to the boot manager which it shouldn't have.

--
Fedora 18