services vs firewall

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 12 02:15:27 UTC 2013

I'm trying to configure nfs and printing for my local network. I got that
working a few days ago, but now it seems lost. The firewall configuration
I mean.

Take nfs. I had the server configured on one of the machines with the
proper open ports, and I was able to access the nfs shares from other
machines. Now I can't. In firewall-config I have mountd, nfs and rpc-bind
checked in the public zone, hoping this would open up the ports. But

56) root:~> firewall-cmd --query-service=nfs && echo enabled
enabled
57) root:~> firewall-cmd --query-port=2049/tcp && echo open
58) root:~>

Same with ipp:

61) root:~> firewall-cmd --query-service=ipp && echo enabled
enabled
62) root:~> firewall-cmd --query-port=631/tcp && echo on
63) root:~>

So the service is enabled and the port isn't? What's the point of
enabling services if it doesn't open the appropriate port? An nmap scan
from another machine shows

111 tcp open
631 tcp closed
2049 tcp closed

Could someone help me understand what's going on? How come the portmapper
(111) is open and 2049 is not? And what do I have to do to actually open
ports 2049 and 631?

Also, is it possible and what's the command to list the firewall rules,
as in

/sbin/iptables --list

To be sure, I did see the examples with --list-services, --list-ports,
etc. I want to list the actual rules, if it's possible. Oh, yes, and
define custom rules too.

Thanks!