OpenJDK packaging bug in Fedora 19

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jul 12 04:30:50 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 08:41 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> said:
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:54:36 -0500
>> Rex Dieter wrote:
>>> Ditto.  I've been meaning to write a packaging draft to the alternatives
>>> guidelines to enforce the idea that packages MUST own their 'alternatives'
>>> targets
>>
>> But how can multiple packages trade ownership of the same file?
>
> It isn't a file, it is a symlink, and all the packages should have the
> same symlink (pointing to /etc/alternatives).
Almost.

These alternatives-symlinks are created post-install, i.e. rpm doesn't
know about them.

This allows %ghost-ing them, i.e. letting rpm know about the fact these
symlinks are present, while the contents of these files/symlinks is not
known to rpm.

In other words, the java rpms could use something along the lines of this:

%files
%ghost /usr/bin/java

%post
[...]
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java [...]
[...]

I am using this approach, e.g. Coin2-devel to handle
/usr/bin/coin-config, which may point to different versions of
"config-scripts".

Ralf