Disabling ipv6

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 12 05:56:29 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 11 July 2013, Chris Adams sent:
> You keep talking about IPv6 security risks (over IPv4), but haven't
> cited any.

While I don't know of security risks of IPv6, itself, there is this:

How is your firewall set up?  When you allow something for IPv4, does it
make a corresponding rule for IPv6, at the same time.  Likewise, for if
you block something.  And I mean that in two ways, dealing with ports,
and addresses.  I may decide to block all port 80 traffic, and I'd hope
my firewall doesn't just put a block on IPv4 traffic, requiring me to
separately set up another rule for the IPv6.  Or, I may find out that
I'm seeing unwanted traffic from www.example.com, I'll probably have to
find out their IPv4 and IPv6 IPs and individually block them.

I mean that question about firewall security in the general, as in
anybody using a computer, not just my current version of Fedora.

Then there's address range types.  With IPv4 it's easy enough to have a
demarcation point between one side of my LAN and the WWW, and set rules
about it.  IPv6 uses a different technique of addressing/subnetting, and
in some of my earlier readings of it, doesn't really work in a similar
way that you can do that kind of demarcation.  There's not that level of
distinction between LAN and WAN.

So there's those basic levels of security, before anybody even worries
about flaws in IPv6, itself.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.9.8-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jun 27 19:19:57 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.