Mailing List Etiquette (was Re: can't run sshd on 23456 in Fedora 19)

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Jul 12 07:25:55 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff wrote:

>> that i should set my focus to a perfect english and political correctness
>> instead technical facts? sorry, my day has only 24 hours
>
> No.  Some of the people who didn't grow up speaking English are better
> at it than you, but you're quite understandable.  Not only that, there
> are a few on this list who I presume grew up with it that aren't as good
> as it as you are.  Don't worry about it.
>
> And, to answer another question, the word "I" in English does mean
> "ich," but in English, proper nouns are always capitalized.

I agree with you completely re Reindl.
But I don't agree with your grammatical advice.
"I" is always capitalized, but not "you", "he", etc.
I don't believe there is any logical reason for this,
as indeed for much english grammar.
"It just growed."
I find my German friends (could equally well be "german friends"?)
all know far more about english grammar than I do,
believing that English is a dialect of German,
rather than a random mixture of incompatible languages.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net