Fedup 17->18 won't boot, all partitions are GPT

Rick Walker walker at omnisterra.com
Fri Jul 12 15:39:27 UTC 2013

Hi Ian,

Ian Chapman <packages at amiga-hardware.com> writes:
> When dealing with GPT partition tables, parted is probably the tool you
> want use as fdisk doesn't understand them.
> What does the output of "fdisk -l /dev/sda" show? I would expect it to
> look something like
>
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1               1   625142447   312571223+  ee  GPT

Thanks for the comments, Ian.  I checked with parted and have the
same disk setup as you.  I also can see my old partitions using
the "parted /dev/sda print" command.

I guess my grub setup got hosed somehow, and the GPT conversion is a
red-herring.

I'm downloading an F18 live image to try a rescue on the boot
setup.  An f17 image was unable to cope with the GPT conversion.
After saying that it identified and mounted the old root
partition (but "may have had some problems"), the mount point was
null.  Maybe F18 can fix itself.

--
Rick Walker