Computer blocked because of error smpboot CPU2: Not responding

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Jul 12 21:02:48 UTC 2013

On 07/12/2013 01:43 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Power cycling (more specifically thermal cycling) is harder on the
> hardware than simply leaving it on. In my 35+ years in electronics,
> generally if a piece of equipment is going to die, it's going to do so
> during power up or a really big swing in temperatures (such as the loss
> of aircon in a data center). I will say this observation is completely
> empirical and I can't back it up with hard numbers, but it is my
> experience.

This is why an incandescent lightbulb is much more likely to fail when
you turn it on than at any other time.  I've read stories about bulbs
that have been working for decades because they've never been turned
off.  I have two reasons for leaving my desktop on 24/7: first, because
Linux is designed to be run that way[1] and that allows me to use my
uptime[2] as an example of how stable Linux is and second, I have BOINC
installed and even when I'm away at a convention, or house sitting, it's
doing useful work.

[1]i.e., "because I can."
[2]Normally, I only reboot for kernel upgrades.