Proposal: Fedora should install with IPv6 disabled by default [was: Re: Disabling ipv6]

David Beveridge bevhost at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 11:07:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Fernando Lozano <fernando at lozano.eti.br> wrote:

> If people on the users list don't agree with me, there's no point
> submiting to developers.

Well I for one certainly don't agree with you.
If you disable it everywhere it's too much of a pain to turn it all
back on when you need it.

If I want IPv6, I don't want to have to
a) enable it in the firewall
b) enable it in the kernel
c) enable it in every application.

As it stands it is enabled for b) and sometimes in c) and blocked in
a) for the most part.
The simplest way is for users to configure the firewall to let IPv6 in
and have the rest already setup.

So I think the default should be to have it enabled everywhere where
appropriate except the firewall.
IPv6 is designed to be autoconfiguring.
Unless you actually have a global IPv6 address, you can only use it
locally anyway.
F19 now has the firewall with zones home, work, public etc so it can
do the right thing from a security standpoint.

If you are worried about security you should be raising bugs against
the firewall, not disabling IPv6 completely.

dave