questions on package management

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jul 13 18:18:20 UTC 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 16:27:52 +0200
lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Assuming that package A doesn't work with the more recent version of
> package C?

Right, that was my assumption. If it does, then it would just update
them all.

...snip...

> Yes, this situation was the result of an upgrade that didn't finish.
> Are you saying that 'yum list installed' doesn't really tell you what
> is actually installed and you need to use 'rpm -V' instead?
>
> What are these placeholders?

When rpm does an upgrade of a package it goes thru a number of steps.
It gets a transaction from yum, it checks it to make sure it would
run ok, then it runs it, during that it installs the new package(s)
runs any scriptlets, then once all new packages are installed, it
goes and removes the old packages from the database.

Often when a transaction gets messed up in the middle, it doesn't get
to the very end part where it removes the no longer installed package
from the rpmdb. So, rpm then shows you have 'foo1' and 'foo2' both
installed, but foo1 really has already been replaced, just it's
database entry didn't get cleaned up. You can find this with 'rpm -V'
because 'rpm -V foo2' will show no problems and 'rpm -V foo1' will
show lots of changes (since foo1 is not really installed).

> And file dependencies change with pre-linking:
>
> prelink: /usr/bin/cjet: at least one of file's dependencies has
> changed since prelinking
>
> Pre-linking it again should fix that?

Yes.

kevin