[GW-C] [ECOTONE] Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Jul 13 23:58:26 UTC 2013

François Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> writes:

> Le 12/07/2013 22:45, lee a écrit :
>> "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com> writes:
>>

>> You're probably screwed when you need LVM or software raid or
>> encryption with the partitioning you need.  Is there any way to get
>> that?  Can you install Fedora on software raid with the partitioning
>> you need?  And can you do that with encrypted partitions?
>
> No! I did not find, up to now, how to re-use my previous partitioning: I
> had two disks sda and sdb with two raid arrays md0 and md1 (software
> raid 1).
>
> On md0 / and swap
>
> On md1 rest of system and data in lvm.
>

> Installer sees sda, partitions on it (sda1, sda2....) and lvm; it sees
> sdb as "unknown" and is unable to show the (mirror) partitions on it.

That's imho worth a bug report.  Redundancy, like RAID, is a requirement
for me, and when installing on a laptop, encryption is also a
requirement.  When you cannot install Fedora on encrypted RAID
partitions, it won't go on a laptop (which doesn't have hardware RAID,
but which laptop does).

> I don't want to erase anything and make a new raid-lvm partitions, the
> job was done a long time ago and it fits my desires... why should I change?

How about upgrading instead?

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)