Why should one upgrade Fedora whenever a new version is released?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 17:06:16 UTC 2013

Hi

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Michael Hennebry <
hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, lee wrote:
>
>  Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

>>> * you use it if you do not need new features over the lifecycle
>>>

>> For which use cases can you predict that you will be fine with the same
>> software for the next ten years?
>>

> Something about which I am ignorant:
> Which changes require new releases and which do not.
> Would someone be kind enough to give me
> examples of each between F14 and F19?
> Why were new releases required?

Updates to an existing release follow
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy.  Libraries that require a
ABI change generally aren't pushed as updates. Major changes such as the
new installer,  switch to systemd init system,   major new versions of
GNOME etc are only introduced in a new release.  The general idea is to
strike to a balance between providing new features to end users vs not
being disruptive.

Rahul