Why should one upgrade Fedora whenever a new version is released?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Jul 15 00:16:18 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 14.07.2013 09:36, schrieb lee:
>> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

>>> * you use it if you do not need new features over the lifecycle
>>
>> For which use cases can you predict that you will be fine with the same
>> software for the next ten years?
>
> *business usage*

That's a very general answer.  You could as well, and perhaps even more
likely, use it for a server you're setting up for yourself at home.

Businesses do change over time, and their requirements brought upon the
soft- and hardware they are using change with them.  The requirements
your server at home needs to fullfill may be less likely to change as
much.

Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't use cases for CentOS in
businesses (or elsewhere).  I'm merely wondering what exactly those
are.  Ancient software and not being upgradeable seem to make for very
hard limits.

> you have a *dedicated* machine or VM foor *one* application

That may be so or not, and what the machine needs to do can change over
time.

> you have vendor support for this software over the lifetime
> your vendor claims to support RHEL6 - so this means REHL6
> until EOL of the distribution

"CentOS is designed for people who need an enterprise class OS without
the cost or support of the prominent North American Enterprise Linux
vendor."[1]

[1]: http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=3

--
"Object-oriented programming languages aren't completely convinced that
you should be allowed to do anything with functions."