Proposal: Fedora should install with IPv6 disabled by default [was: Re: Disabling ipv6]

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Mon Jul 15 01:51:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

> > i disagree also that it should be default disabled
> > *but* it should be disabled if you are on a network
> > with only a DHCP4 server and no DHCP6 or if you
> > have a static configuration without ipv6
> >
> > currently you get a link-local address
> >

> This is by design. And with ipv6 incoming (big in Asia and basis ISPs
> are beginning to enabled it now for home users in the US such as
> Comcast. Windows will work out of the box. MacOSX will work out of the
> box. Fedora (or Ubuntu etc) also need to work out of the box.

I don't think anything is the "right thing" just because Windows and
MacOS will do. In this specific case, my optinion is that they shouln't,
the same way Fedora shouldnt'.

If sometone needs IPv6 working out-of-the-box, it could be a check box
on anaconda.

> > > IPv6 is designed to be autoconfiguring
> >
> > and *that* is a problem inside a ipv4 only LAN
> >

> Not if you are sane with your policies as an admin anyway.

Cannot hope that with most home LANS and SMBs.

[]s, Fernando Lozano