Why should one upgrade Fedora whenever a new version is released?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Jul 15 04:47:06 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

>>> *business usage*
>>
>> That's a very general answer.  You could as well, and perhaps even more
>> likely, use it for a server you're setting up for yourself at home
>
> you could it even use for your desktop.....

I probably could, but I don't want to be stuck with ancient software.

>> Businesses do change over time, and their requirements brought upon the
>> soft- and hardware they are using change with them.
>
> mhh thats why so many companies still using WinXP i guess

Maybe there are other reasons for that, like that is isn't upgradable
and/or that it is expensive to switch.  It's also possible that other
software they are using works best with that, maybe because the other
software hasn't been upgraded yet.

That a company is using a particular software doesn't mean that this
software fits the companies' needs perfectly or even at all.  The longer
a company waits before upgrading, the more difficult it can become to do
it.

>> The requirements your server at home needs to fullfill may be less
>> likely to change as much
>
> if on your server at home something goes wrong nobody cares

Well, I do.

> if you change something on a business server and break the
> services for some hundret of customers the things are looking
> completly different
>
> hence - you need not to explain *me* how things may change as
> i use Fedora for many years at production but you asked why
> others are using RHEL/CentOS and you got your answers

Unless I missed it, nobody has described a particular use case yet in
which it is obvious that it is good to use CentOS.  Upgrading holds its
risks as well as using software that cannot be upgraded.  The future
cannot be predicted.  So how do you make a decision like between using
Fedora and CentOS?

--
"Object-oriented programming languages aren't completely convinced that
you should be allowed to do anything with functions."