ZoneMinder and ffmpeg

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 15 16:49:15 UTC 2013

Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a desktop machine running Fedora 17 and a DVR card connected to six
> surveilance cameras, managed by ZoneMinder. I use the package from Fedora
> Project, it works veru well, but I miss the ability to store videos envoded as
> mpeg or some other format that uses less disk space. Because the zoneminder
> package for Fedora will store only JPEG files, it uses up too much disk space
> and I can store only a a couple days.
>
> I was wondering if upgrading to Fedora 19 to get the latest package would
> improve this. I found nothing on the change log about this issue, which AFAIK is
> related to the ffmpeg release used by Fedora.
>
> Can anyone tell me if now ZoneMinder from Fedora can store encoded video instead
> of individual jpeg frames? If not, I won't take the effort to upgrade the
> machine right now.

I will suggest that you look at the "motion" package, which is what I use,
records when motion is detected, as avi or mpg, and can do time lapse images
which ffmpeg will easily roll into a video if that's your preference. Images can
be jpeg, ppm (I use that for time lapse) and I believe some others I haven't used.

In addition to an individual clip of every individual motion triggered episode
it will give you a single "events of the day" video. Some combination of these
capabilities should give you what you need.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>