kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 15 18:20:15 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.07.2013 22:59, schrieb Patrick Dupre:
>> After a fresh installation, the updater maintains:
>>   kernel
>> and
>>   kernel-PAE
>>
>> I guess that I do not need both kernels. How can I manage it?
>
> * which Fedora version
> * which CPU architecture
> * what says "rpm -qa | grep kernel"
>
> i guess because there is a PAE legacy i686
> normally you should go with PAE except on very old machines
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Let me agree completely, without PAE you can only have 4GB physical memory, and
even that is not used optimally. There are a few other things changed which are
not of interest to most people, but in general if your CPU has the feature you
should use it.

The article gives a bunch of detail, but the bottom line is that your system
works and better and can use more memory.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>