importance of upgradeability

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Jul 16 15:16:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

>>> That I can understand --- upgrading twice a year, especially when
>>> it's questionable if the upgrade works --- can be painful, all the more
>>> when you have many machines to upgrade.  It gave me a lot to worry about
>>> even with only one.
If it helps, I upgraded a number of systems from F17 straight to F18
without a problem (except for a little packaging bug in openjdk). Some
of those systems included packages from external repos like rpmforge. So
you could upgrade once a year instead of twice.

Upgrades from the network take a long time. It would help if we could
point to a local DVD install media and use the updates repo at the same
time, so fedup don't take so long downloading packages.

Better yet, it could be possible to make a local mirror of the updates
repo (rsync?) and point fedup to it. This local mirror could act as a
"cache", with fedup checking if their packages are the latest and
downloading from the net if not.

[]s, Fernando Lozano