ZoneMinder and ffmpeg

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Jul 16 15:23:27 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

> On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 13:33 -0300, Fernando Lozano wrote:
>> Because the zoneminder package for Fedora will store only JPEG files,
>> it uses up too much disk space and I can store only a a couple days.
> CRON job to compile a daily movie out of the JPEGs, then delete them
> afterwards?  (Or delete them the day after, allowing you to keep shots
> you may need to keep.)

I though about that, but could not manage to find how to do that yet. If
you kbnow how (or can point me to a reference) i'd be thankful. Of
course I looked up on zone minder web site and google, but foud nothing.

That's not so trivial. Besides having to find the correct options for
ffmpeg (or menconde, or whatever) to turn the jpeg frames into an
animation, I'd have to purge those images and their corresponding events
from zoneminder database.

And although having the images and recordings sent to the web browser as
individual jpeg files, it becomes slow (more like a bad slide show) when
network connectivity is not good, as usual from 3G networks. It wold be
very nice having the ability to stream live video and recorded video
from Fedora ZoneMinder.

Anyway ZoneMinder without video streaming / encoding support is already
much better than the proprietary software provided as part of my video
capture card. :-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano