partitioning (was: Re: [GW-C] [ECOTONE] Re: rant of the day: installing fedora)

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 04:56:07 UTC 2013

On Jul 15, 2013 8:33 PM, "lee" <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > the installation program gives you everything you need to have an
> > operational system; after you have it installed:
> >
> > fdisk
> >
> > is the command to create your much needed / loved partitions that the
> > installer did not.
>
> Well ok, in that case you may be better off running fdisk /before/
> installing so that you can install the system onto the partitions you
> want right away.  The installer --- since it comes as part of a live
> system --- gives you everything you need for that.
>
> The question is whether you can get it to use the partitions you
> created.  That was difficult enough even without RAID or LVM.
>
> In case I want to install more distributions or a fallback Fedora, I
> need to tell their installers again where to install what.  A universal
> partitioning tool could save me that.
>

> --
> Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)
> --

There is no real difference between pre-installation and disk / cfdisk, and
all post-partitions are as usable as pre-install work.

Why question it? If you are interested in what I see as unnecesary
partitions, just do it.

You are asking the wrong person. I quit worrying about pre-partitioning a
15 years ago because there is no reason to do it anymore. The installer
gives the user all that person requires.

If you really care, please email Adam Williamson for a more complete
explanation.

Go watch some YouTube videos on partitioning in Linux?