a different point of view to "etiquette"

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jul 16 18:47:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.stable/58049/focus%3D1525074
>
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org>
> Subject: Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.stable, gmane.linux.kernel
> Date: 2013-07-15 18:17:06 GMT (19 hours and 12 minutes ago)
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Sarah Sharp
> <sarah.a.sharp <at> linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, I am serious about this.  Linus, you're one of the worst
>> offenders when it comes to verbally abusing people and publicly tearing
>> their emotions apart.
>
> Yes. And I do it partly (mostly) because it's who I am, and partly
> because I honestly despise being subtle or "nice".
>
> The fact is, people need to know what my position on things are. And I
> can't just say "please don't do that", because people won't listen. I
> say "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle", and I mean
> it.

How about "Please don't do that.  It won't work because ...."?
Not subtle and not mean.
Not sure what '"nice"' means.

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>> Linus is in a very special category, and I don't think his justifications
>> can be applied to virtually any one else.  Especially, not *here*.

In that case, they cannot be applied to Linus either.

> I support Linus'  position. Which is related to my sig file. Sometimes
> telling the truth and being blunt hurts. So be it.

>From FC's position I would infer:
     "That's stupid.  Shut up." is ok,
     "Don't do that.  It violates a commit rule you should have known: ....".
     is too subtle to be wise.

> --
> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
> - George Orwell

"you have shown little ability to understand subtlety (or,
for that matter, blows to the head)"            --    Mike Farren