a different point of view to "etiquette"

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jul 16 22:04:55 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 02:21 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I'm not a great believer in subtlety either.

I don't think that it's being subtle to say, "That's probably not a good
idea because..."  That's just telling somebody why their idea won't work
instead of just saying, "Don't do that!"  The first one not only tells
them what they need to know to make (what you think is) the right
decision, it does it in a non-confrontational way.  And, sometimes,
being subtle allows the person you're replying to the chance to work
things out for themselves, so that they understand why their idea was wrong.