how to change udev rules in Fedora

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 17 00:32:25 UTC 2013

On 07/17/13 08:07, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the proposed way to permanently change udev rules in Fedora?
>
> The file I need to edit has a comment in it: "do not edit this file, it
> will be overwritten on update".
>

>From "man 7 udev"

       The udev rules are read from the files located in the system rules
       directory /usr/lib/udev/rules.d, the volatile runtime directory
       /run/udev/rules.d and the local administration directory
       /etc/udev/rules.d. All rules files are collectively sorted and processed
       in lexical order, regardless of the directories in which they live.
       However, files with identical file names replace each other. Files in
       /etc have the highest priority, files in /run take precedence over files
       with the same name in /lib. This can be used to override a
       system-supplied rules file with a local file if needed; a symlink in
       /etc with the same name as a rules file in /lib, pointing to /dev/null,
       disables the rules file entirely.

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.