Etiquette and changing of threads

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jul 17 03:03:25 UTC 2013

lee wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
>
>>> lee wrote:
>>>

>>> Queue your posts before sending them.
>>>
>> I tried that, and wound up not remembering to post afterword. It
>> sounds better than it works, at least for me.
>
> It can happen --- since I got used to it, I don't forget it anymore.
> Even if I do, nothing terrible happens.
>
>>> Some threads happen to diverge into, sometimes multiple, different
>>> directions, with many posters becoming inspired to come forward with
>>> what they are interested in.  When this happens, it doesn't mean that
>>> the thread has been hijacked.
>>>
>> That's your opinion, I can agree if the diversion is a subtopic of the
>> original post, otherwise I disagree.
>
> Let's take the 'Schrödingers' Cat' thread as an example.  Does it
> constitute hijacking the thread when someone asks why it's
> "Schrödingers'" rather than "Schrödingers"?
>
>> Implementation details of a relevant answer are fine, too often a "How
>> do I" question results in a "you want to do something less" answer,
>> which is (a) often not helpful, and (b) comes with the assumption that
>> the original poster asked the wrong question, or is using a wrong
>> approach, usually without understanding the reason why an approach has
>> been chosen.
>
> That isn't hijacking, or is it?
>
>> I have had some success with starting a post with a statement that I'm
>> not seeking alternate solution, just information on how to make the
>> chosen approach work. I don't do it unless I'm really closed to
>> alternatives, I have had a fair number of good alternatives brought to
>> my attention.
>
> And you don't like it when alternatives are brought to your attention
> because of (a) and (b)?

More to save someone the effort of writing a long response intended to help, but
not actually useful. If there's a reason to use the solution I chose, everyone
benefits from useful answers, or requests for context, why I chose to do it the
way I did. I'm often happy to have any solution, but there are times when it
must go the hard way.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>