sssd for /boot?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Jul 17 03:13:20 UTC 2013

Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:41:49 +0200
> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > On the point of replacing some disks.
>> > What would people think of these for a /boot, / combo?
>> > There's lots in web searchland re "ssd writes lifespan"
>> >
>> > https://tinyurl.com/ohbkkyj (komplett)
>>
>> You can get away with a 32GB disk for /boot, /usr, /usr/local and
>> the root fs.
>>

> But is ssd ok for /boot ?

That's what I would expect ...  I don't have one, so I can't say much
about them.

Is it a good choice for your application?

Considering their cost, SSDs don't seem worthwhile to me unless you have
an application that does make use of them.  They probably make quite
some sense in laptops unless you need storage capacity because their
power consumption is low and because they aren't affected by
vibrations.  A hybrid doesn't (fully) have these advantages.

With a hybrid, you get two different devices combined into a single
device, each of them having their own weaknesses.  That probably doubles
the overall chance of failure of the device like the chance of failure
of one disk doubles when you use two disks instead of one.

Considering cost, you can get like a 32GB SSD plus a 500GB disk for
about the same money as you'd pay for the hybrid.  That still doubles
the chance of failure (assuming SSDs have about the same failure rate
spinning disks have, which they probably don't).

You could get two 500 or 750GB or 1TB disks instead and use RAID-1:
still double chance of disk failure, much less chance of overall
failure, easy to fix.

If you don't need much disk space and think you can get away without
redundancy, you could get a single 32, 64 or 128GB SSD and, if needed,
an external USB disk.  Or you can have redundancy with two 32GB SSDs and
the USB disk carefully backed up to your desktop, though backups aren't
a replacement for RAID > 0 ...  You have many choices :)

Having that said, the only case that comes to mind in which a hybrid
currently could make sense is when you don't have a choice.

In practise, they might work fine.  The product must be as cheap to
manufacture as possible, and the majority of them needs to survive the
warranty period.  Do you still want to buy one?

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)