how to change udev rules in Fedora

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Jul 17 04:32:07 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

> On 07/16/2013 08:39 PM, lee wrote:
>> Thank you!  So I'll just copy the file I want to modify into
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/  and delete everything I don't want to modify, that
>> should work ...
>
> Please let us know how this works.  I'm sure that there are others on
> this list who could take advantage of the information.

This won't work because when I delete everything else from the copy of
the file and leave only what I want, it would mean that everything I
might want will not be in effect because my copy of the file would
wholly replace the file provided as default.

So I can't do this.

What I'm trying to do is three things:

+ make it so that smart information is not being polled from /dev/sda

+ make it so that DVD drives are not being polled for media changes

+ make sure that /dev/sda can go into sleep mode without being woken up
  unless I mount the file system it has on it

I have made a service file for systemd so that 'hdparm -S 240 /dev/sda'
is being run automatically --- it could use some improvement so that it
goes by UUID rather than by the device name, but that's a different
problem.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Trying to do anything related to udev is like trying to read 500 pages
of a pgp encrypted binary file without being able to decrypt it and
without even knowing what kind of file it is :(

In case it might be useful for someone:

[Unit]
Description=enable power saving for hard disk(s)
After=syslog.target network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=root
Group=root