F19: CUPS: HowTo enable printer discovery

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 16:31:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 18:21 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Into f18 I do that with this command:
> # sudo cupsctl _remote_printers=1
> (Or via http://localhost:631 administration)
>
> Now this command do not work anymore, and if I do:
> # sudo cupsctl |grep _remote_printers
> I discover that this options there is no more. (also from web panel this
> option there is no more).
>
> How to I can re enable this feature?
> I must rebuild f18 CUPS version on f19 or there are some other via?

CUPS printer discovery is now done in the client library, libcups. That
means that, for example, the GTK+ print dialog will do the discovery
when the dialog is presented.

The discovery mechanism in Fedora 19 is DNS-SD (using Avahi). Previous
releases also supported "CUPS Browsing" -- if you need this, you'll need
to configure and enable the "cups-browsed" service. The configuration
file for cups-browsed is /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf (see the
cups-browsed.conf(5) man page).

Tim.
*/