Why should one upgrade Fedora whenever a new version is released?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 16 18:08:56 UTC 2013

Am 16.07.2013 20:03, schrieb Steven Stern:
> On 07/15/2013 06:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> well, you better would be suited with a company giving you
>> remote access to your VM's console over a VPN
>
> A quick plug for Linode, which offers this.
>
> HOWEVER, if it's a server AND it's not just a personal thing, then you
> need to justify to your employer the time it takes to upgrade for each
> release, as well as the potential down time

i do

the downtime of services from Fedora 9 to Fedora 18 was 30 seconds
for the reboot and 60 seconds for the two reboots caused by
UsrMerge - not more and not less

the upgrade itself takes 3-5 minutes per server
preapre that this runs smooth 1-2 days so 4 days a year
where i am still reahable for my daily work - who cares?

if you not believe this - i have all outputs of yum (stderror and stdout)
in the archive from 2008 to 2013 for all of the around 20 virtual servers