a different point of view to "etiquette"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 16 18:54:58 UTC 2013

Am 16.07.2013 20:47, schrieb Michael Hennebry:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.stable/58049/focus%3D1525074
>>
>> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org>
>> Subject: Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
>> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.stable, gmane.linux.kernel
>> Date: 2013-07-15 18:17:06 GMT (19 hours and 12 minutes ago)
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Sarah Sharp
>> <sarah.a.sharp <at> linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, I am serious about this.  Linus, you're one of the worst
>>> offenders when it comes to verbally abusing people and publicly tearing
>>> their emotions apart.
>>
>> Yes. And I do it partly (mostly) because it's who I am, and partly
>> because I honestly despise being subtle or "nice".
>>
>> The fact is, people need to know what my position on things are. And I
>> can't just say "please don't do that", because people won't listen. I
>> say "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle", and I mean
>> it.
>
> How about "Please don't do that.  It won't work because ...."?

and after argue 100 times this way and every day the same question
comes up again and again while it is pretty clear that the one
who asked did not spent one second in read any manpage or
even type his question in Google because it is easier to
get ready pieces of people who do nothing else than fire
the question in Google and qutoe from there you get frustrated

after that if you explain someone things because you have
*real* expierience because your daily life depends on
what you are saying and get as response "no i do not want
it that way" - what are you doing?

respect is one topic

but it is also respectless to *not* read any line of a
manpage or use a search engine to get a minimal picture
about what you are asking

besides the fact that people who do not spend one second
to search and read docs they are anyways unable to understand
a answer with background it is also respectless to act this way
and waste the time of people which did their homework