Permissions on /var/log/ files

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jul 17 19:15:32 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 11:18 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> i did: "otherwise my /var/log/maillog on my workstation would not have 644"
> this is "logrotaded" - logrotate keeps the permissions/owner/group if
> not specified like below (which is my own config-piece)
>
> /var/log/scriptlog {
>      missingok
>      notifempty
>      size 30k
>      create 0644 root root
> }

I'm the only person who ever uses my laptop.  If I wanted, then, I could
use this to make /var/log/messages world readable for convenience.  No,
I'm not going to do it because unless I do it to all of my machines it's
too confusing to remember which ones I've done it to and which I
haven't, and I don't think it's a good idea in general.  (If nothing
else, needing root access to read that file reminds you that what you're
doing is "admin stuff," not normal user things.)