importance of upgradeability

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jul 17 19:23:23 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 12:05 PM, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> My ideas make sense only for repeating the processes on multiple
> machines. If I could download all packages / and store then in a DVD
> media or a shared disk beforehand, it would save time for the second
> machine and so. Like we can do today with the install media, but
> expanded for Fedora updates and third-party repos.
>
> Imagine if fedup worked using yum "keep cache" and then setup a http or
> nfs share for other machines to reuse all downloaded content. Then other
> machines wouldn't need to download / install anything to their local HDs
> before rebooting (except for the new grub, kernel and a few binaries
> kile yum), they would upgrade directly from the first one.

That would work, and work well if, and only if all of the machines had
the same software.  Your DNS server/s don't need apache, your SMTP
servers probably don't need any database packages and the workstations
have their own specific needs.  What would probably work best is to
create a local repo that contains all of the new packages for what one
might call the core programs that all of your boxen need so that they
only have to go to the Internet for the specialty packages.  I wonder if
there's a way to make fedup understand that.