Permissions on /var/log/ files

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Jul 17 19:37:13 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 12:24 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.07.2013 21:15, schrieb Joe Zeff:

>> I'm the only person who ever uses my laptop.  If I wanted, then, I could use this to make /var/log/messages world
>> readable for convenience.  No, I'm not going to do it because unless I do it to all of my machines it's too
>> confusing to remember which ones I've done it to and which I haven't, and I don't think it's a good idea in
>> general.  (If nothing else, needing root access to read that file reminds you that what you're doing is "admin
>> stuff," not normal user things.)
>
> this is a very very bad reminder because you do not
> all day long "cat /var/log/messages"

Of course.  As long as all goes well, I have no reason to look at it, on
any computer, and that's another reason I'm not planning on doing it.

BTW, I got this as a CC of the reply you sent to the list.  I'm adding
the list itself as a recipient of my reply so that I don't have to
remember to reply again when this shows up on the list.