importance of upgradeability

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Jul 17 20:01:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

>> Imagine if fedup worked using yum "keep cache" and then setup a http or
>> nfs share for other machines to reuse all downloaded content. Then other
>> machines wouldn't need to download / install anything to their local HDs
>> before rebooting (except for the new grub, kernel and a few binaries
>> kile yum), they would upgrade directly from the first one.
>
> That would work, and work well if, and only if all of the machines had
> the same software.  Your DNS server/s don't need apache, your SMTP
> servers probably don't need any database packages and the workstations
> have their own specific needs.  What would probably work best is to
> create a local repo that contains all of the new packages for what one
> might call the core programs that all of your boxen need so that they
> only have to go to the Internet for the specialty packages.  I wonder
> if there's a way to make fedup understand that.
Imagine a bunch of desktops (or developer workstations) being upgraded
using fedup. Their software would be very similar.

And my idea is that fedup would download from the net anything missing
(or newer) than the lan cache, so different configurations would be
supported fine.

A local mirrir of fedora repos would take care of more diverse setups,
if fedup could use then as a cache.

[]s, Fernando Lozano