How 2 view apple movie trailers using F19

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 17 21:13:28 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 01:02 PM, Fred Smith issued this missive:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:14:19AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 07/17/2013 11:02 AM, Fred Smith issued this missive:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I'm really stumped here. I've got F17 on one netbook and with it am able
>>> to view apple movie trailers using Firefox.
>>>
>>> On the OTHER netbook, now with F19, I have, AFAIK, all the same browser
>>> plugins and underlying packages installed, but the videos won't play.
>>> when clicking any of the options to start playing, a black window for
>>> the video opens, and the player's controls are drawn at the bottom, and
>>> that's as far as it goes. clicking the play button (it starts paused,
>>> apparently) makes no difference.
>>>
>>> I can provide a list of browser plugins (it's not on the computer
>>> I'm using ATM) and anything else you want to see, just let me know.
>>
>> Check your codecs ("yum list gstreamer-plugins*" and "yum list
>> gstreamer1-plugins*"). Odds are that you are missing one of the codecs
>> that the plugin needs to render it.
>>
>> Most Apple stuff is h.264 with AAC audio.
>
> Good hint, Rick. too bad I've already got all the gstreamer stuff installed:
>
> [root at aspirebox ~]# yum list installed | grep -y gstreamer
> PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin.i686    0.8.9-6.fc19                       @anaconda
> gstreamer.i686                      0.10.36-3.fc19                     @anaconda
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-free.i686     0.10.23-17.fc19                    @anaconda
> gstreamer-plugins-base.i686         0.10.36-4.fc19                     @anaconda
> gstreamer-plugins-espeak.i686       0.4.0-2.fc19                       @anaconda
> gstreamer-plugins-good.i686         0.10.31-9.fc19                     @anaconda
> gstreamer-tools.i686                0.10.36-3.fc19                     @anaconda
> gstreamer1.i686                     1.0.8-1.fc19                       @updates
> gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free.i686    1.0.8-1.fc19                       @updates
> gstreamer1-plugins-base.i686        1.0.8-1.fc19                       @updates
> gstreamer1-plugins-good.i686        1.0.8-1.fc19                       @updates
> [root at aspirebox ~]# yum list availiable | grep -y gstreamer
> Error: No matching Packages to list
> [root at aspirebox ~]#
>
> I also installed libquicktime and it brought in a dozen or more of
> various dependencies. didn't help any.

I don't see gstreamer-plugins-ugly in there (it contains libgstx264.so,
part of the h.264 stuff). I don't have an F19 box handy (just F17 and
F18 at this point), so perhaps they don't have it anymore, but that may
have an effect.

> sometimes I think Apple is going out of their way to make sure Linux
> users can't access that site,... they keep changing it so that the then-
> current work-arounds no longer work around. this is far from the first
> time. Up until recently I could view them just fine on my Centos
> desktop, though it took some messing with Firefox plugins (to fake the
> user agent) for it to work. but even after they broke that, it still
> worked on my F17 netbook (without, in fact, the user agent fakery--go
> figure!). in fact it still does, but I've got a new(er) one with F19
> that I'd sure like to be able to use, too.

<soap>
I've never been fond of the whole iTunes/iOS situation. You can only
get programs or content they've "approved", so they're the big censors
now. They have become exactly what they used to rail against in their
ads (remember their first TV ad with the woman throwing a sledgehammer
at the "Big Brother" screen?) I have a Macbook Air--under protest and
only because a lot of stuff we do is Apple-related. I fire it up about
as often as I fire up a Windows machine (perhaps twice a month).

I have an Android phone because I'm rather anti-Apple, but I don't like
Google looking up my skirt as much as they do. I absolutely refuse to
get on any of these stupid social media sites. I have a Facebook page,
but only because my cousin is techno-challenged and hasn't been able to
figure out how to send me pictures of her kids via email so she does it
through that. Argh!
</soap>