photo viewer & organizer for MATE: gthumb or shotwell or ...

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Wed Jul 17 21:41:40 UTC 2013

Question for those familiar with photo manipulation: which program
use for downloading photos from camera and organize/view them?
They (my friends) want use it from Gnome2 at F14 with idea they
sometime will update to F19+ and MATE desktop. As far as I know,
in Fedora was preferred gThumb, now it seems as Shotwell is preferred
more (at least as far as Fedora installer offers). Both programs
uses GTK libraries, thus are perhaps both suitable for use in
Gnome2/MATE environment.

Know anyone knowledgeable in this area which program is more suitable
for this task? When I simply start gThumb and Shotwell I beliewe
gThumb seems more visually convenient for me, but I not know their
properties, advantages and disadvantages. Can someone help with,
or refer to any URLs where both programs are compared? Or, maybe
there is/are other programs, better/more suitable for this?

Thanks in advance,
Franta Hanzlik