How to setup dhcp server under Fedora 19 ?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jul 18 02:34:42 UTC 2013

On 07/18/13 09:31, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems that dnsmasq is running under Fedora 19, and it manages the dns/dhcp
> for the virtual environment.
>
> So, how does one get either dhcpd or another copy of dnsmasq, or,
> /etc/dnsmasq.d/*conf to either play or integrate with the running dnsmasq.
>
> That is to say that I have a working dhcpd conf file, but dhcpd can't bind to
> the dhcp ports.
>
> I have also configured a dnsmasq conf file, and put it in /etc/dnsmasq.d, but
> that isn't included because the config file for the dnsmasq used for libvirt
>
>     /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.conf
>
> doesn't contain:
>
>     conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d
>
> So, I am curious. Has anyone setup a dhcp server on Fedora 19, and if yes, did
> you use dhcpd or dnsmasq ?
>
> If you used dhcpd, how did you get around the fact that dnsmasq is using the
> dhcp ports ? If you are using dnsmasq, how did you integrate with libvirt ?

The config file for dnsmasq is at /etc/dnsmasq.conf

In the config file you'll find.....

# If you want dnsmasq to provide only DNS service on an interface,
# configure it as shown above, and then use the following line to
# disable DHCP and TFTP on it.
#no-dhcp-interface=

I don't see in the documentation if uncommenting and leaving blank indicates all interfaces.  Something to play with.....  I don't use dnsmasq.

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.