Is there a metapackage for texdoc?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Thu Jul 18 11:26:06 UTC 2013

lee wrote:

> is there a metapackage for textdoc that depends on the documentation for
> those packages that are installed?
>
> Installing 'texlive-texdoc' gives me /bin/texdoc but not the
> documentation itself.  Figuring out which packages do have documentation
> that could be displayed with texdoc and installing them manually doesn't
> seem to be a good option.

As I understand it, texdoc is a TeXLive-specific program
for finding documentation on a particular package
in a TeXLive installation.
For example
  texdoc amsmath
brings up (on my laptop) "User guide for AMSmath package".
Also
  texdoc texdoc
brings up a texdoc tutorial (by the author of texdoc).

Note that you must have the relevant TeXLive doc file installed, eg
  sudo yum install texlive-amsmath-doc*
I note that if I ran
  sudo yum install texlive-*doc
it would take up 1GB of space (which I don't have to spare!)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net