emulate mouse middle-button on Dell XPS 13?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 08:05:52 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 11:39 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Thanks! I get the following:
> !
> $sudo gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse
> middle-button-enabled true No such schema
> 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse'

You wouldn't use "sudo" for that.  It's a per-user setting.

> I am using the LXDE spin.

Then it probably doesn't apply at all.  Try lee's suggestion.

> Can I get the Shift-insert button to replace the paste operation of the
> mouse (or the second button)? I would be fine with that then (in fact
> more preferable for me).

No.

>> Sadly, I'm actually about to sell the XPS 13 that I've got.  Xorg
>> appears to have a bug in handling Fn+arrow for Pg up/down, which causes
>> it to key-repeat pg up/down until interrupted.
>
> Interesting. I don't have a problem with this: though this is kind of
> irritating to me where it is placed. (I have previously been used to
> PgUp and PgDn having its own keys).

It happens more often when using Ctrl+Fn+up/down, as in changing tabs in
the terminal or web browser.

> Not yet for me, but this laptop is four days old for me. Click for me
> is intrepreted as left-click only. Would be nice if the trackpad
> interpreted right and left click as depending on which half you were
> in.
>
> Are you using F19, completely updated?

Yes.  The problem was the same in F18.  Tests were all performed in a
fresh install with a new user.  The hardware just isn't very good.  It's
not the same trackpad used in Dell's better models.