Twitter does user-agent sniffing, can't login with F19 Midori browser @ Twitter.com

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 19:04:45 UTC 2013

Web site programmers never cease to amaze me (for the worst).
I loaded Fedora 19 XFCE and I'm overall VERY VERY impressed with its
speed, there is a notable difference with the previous F18 release
(also XFCE).

However, loading the Midore XFCE web browser gives me one unpleasant
surprise: twitter.com loads and the entry fields for username and
password can't be clicked. I mean, I click on them but the blinking
cursor to enter data never appears.

It turns out the twitter code seems to do user agent sniffing and
freaks out when it finds out the Midori user agent.

Finally I solved it by going to the Midori web browser preferences,
clicking on Network->Identify as->Custom and cutting and pasting the
user agent for Firefox 22... (I could probably have gotten around it
as well by selecting "Safari", which is also based on Webkit as
Midori, but what the ****, I'm lazy, and didn't want to test another
option ;).

Just FYI folks...
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell