Error message that pops up in terminal windows.

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Fri Jul 19 21:40:43 UTC 2013

"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> writes:

>> > This message shows up in terminal windows from time to time.
>> > Any ideals on what is doing it and how to correct it.
>> >
>> > WARNING: Your hard drive is failing
>> > Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>> >
>> > WARNING: Your hard drive is failing
>> > Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 2 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>> >
>> > smartctl shows the disk is fine in both short and long test on disk
>> > and partitions. At one time the machine was reporting all kinds of
>> > soft errors with smartctl, and I replaced the disk with this new
>> > one, and it continued to get the soft errors. Then installed a pci
>> > sata controller instead of the on-board controller, and errors
>> > stopped? So, I assumed the issue was with the onboard controller,
>> > and not the disk, since it was brand new, and had put the old disk
>> > in another machine, and it also has no issues. But the above error
>> > messages come up, and I would like to correct it, but don't know
>> > what comand or program could resolve it.

Do you see messages about sector errors in /var/log/messages?

This looks like an intermittent failure which is getting worse over
time.  First thing I would do is replacing the SATA cable and switch the
disk over to a different power connector.

If that doesn't help and if you can be reasonably sure that the disk is
ok, you're looking at needing another mainboard.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)