/usr/local/lib*

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 21 13:37:19 UTC 2013

Am 21.07.2013 14:02, schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:59:21 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:13:03 +0200
>> lee wrote:
>>

>>> BTW, why are there so many i686 packages installed:
>>
>> I have noticed Fedora x86_64 tends to do that as long as I've been
>> using Fedora.
>> what I've resorted to in /etc/yum.conf is:
>> exclude=*i386* *i486* *i586* *i686
>>
>> It will complain if try you remove them,
>> but it can be done slowly\carefully.
>> using rpm -e --nodeps where appropriate (Use with Caution)
>
> That is wrong advice

and a very dangerous

*never* type "--nodeps" at all as long you are not 100%
sure what you are doing at the moment

> You don't need --nodeps to remove the 32-bit packages

and not for anything else if you are not firm how to recover
your system if there was a cross-dependency killing nss or
similar mandatory libraries resulting in rpm, yum, sshd are
dead and you are done until restore the library files per hand

been there with "rpm -e --nodeps nss-softokn" years ago to
solve a different dependency problem

> You could do things similar to
> rpm -qa|grep \.i\*86$|xargs rpm -e

ouch - why not "yum remove \*.i686" instead bypass yum?
been there, done that often before "exclude=*.i686"