Fedup from 18 to 19, fingers crossed

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 02:48:57 UTC 2013

On 07/21/2013 10:41 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com
> <mailto:marklapier at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     It may be an artifact of people who have trouble being more likely
>     to write to the list, but it seems that people who have Fedup
>     problems seem to outnumber those who have success outright with no
>     problems first try.  That's probably not the case though.
>
>     The issues are probably caused by people who add stuff from
>     foreign repos.  How else would you end up with an F18 kernel that
>     was newer than the F19 kernel that you were trying to replace it
>     with?  That doesn't happen to all F18 users does it?  My money is
>     on NO.
>

> No custom kernels... for some reason F18 ended up with 3.9.10 and F19
> is still on 3.9.9 (or something like that).
>
> I do have some custom packages, but nothing that would prevent basic
> functionality, mostly end user apps, and they're all in a local
> repository which I rebuild F19 packages in most cases.
>
> fedup only updated about 500 packages. When I got my system fixed
> enough to run yum update, it still needed about 1100.
>
> My guess at this point is that fedup assumed that because my local
> repository was "local" (over nfs) that it didn't need to add these
> packages to /var/lib/fedora-upgrade. If this is indeed the case that
> is a VERY bad assumption. It's nuts to not include ALL the packages
> needed for the upgrade transaction. And even if there's a good reason
> not to (I can't think of one) then if you're missing 1100 packages, it
> should refuse to do the upgrade.
>
> Richard

FWIW, I used a straight network upgrade. It upgraded more than 3000
packages and took two and one-half hours to do it after I booted into
System Upgrade.

I have no problems. The only strange thing was that libdvdcss2 is still
an F18 version--but when I ran rpmsearch that happens to be the latest
version it returned.

Also FWIW, I upgraded within two days of the announcement. Since then
I've taken two kernel updates, so now I have three F19 kernel versions,
plus the rescue option that I understand is the preferred method when
adding new hardware.

Temlakos