/usr/local/lib*

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Jul 22 10:59:18 UTC 2013

Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> writes:

> On 07/21/13 22:51, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> On 07/21/2013 02:02 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> That is wrong advice. You don't need --nodeps to remove the 32-bit
>>> packages. You could do things similar to
>>>
>>>   rpm -qa|grep \.i\*86$|xargs rpm -e
>>>
>>> to remove all of them at once without introducing broken dependencies.
>> I would run a
>>
>>   yum remove glibc.i686
>>
>> That one will easily tear down the entire 32 bit world. ;-)
>>
>> Just be sure you do not have specific (proprietary?) 32 bit apps you
>> want to keep.
>>

> I really do wonder what all the fuss is about.
>
> I run a 64 bit systems and have managed to accumulate some 32 bit libs
> along the way.  OK, maybe it takes up just over 1GB of disk space but
> on a 750GB drive that is way less than 1%.
>
> It isn't as if this is MS windows with dll's getting loaded into memory willy nilly.
>
> Yes it may be just me....but micro managing this, to me, is more trouble than it is worth.

This isn't much about disk space, though not having to back up obsolete
stuff, not needing to update or to upgrade it, not having possible
security risks through it and restorecon not needing to adjust
permissions on a few thousand files during upgrades is a benefit.  There
are probably some more advantages, too.

It's about knowing what's installed and going on with my system and
about keeping it clean and the way I want it.

I installed a 64bit system, not a 32bit one.  That these 32bit libs are
installed seems to be a bug in the installer.  I'll try to remove them
and see what happens ...

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)