unimpressive btrfs benchmark results

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jul 22 14:18:19 UTC 2013

Neal Becker wrote:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_311_filesystems&num=1

> I installed using btrfs on my SSD.  Maybe I should be feeling some buyer's
> remorse?

While being fast is nice, after reading,
http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

It seems clear to me btrfs primary focus is not pure performance, but
advanced features.  Some choice quotes:
"... focusing on fault tolerance, repair and easy administration."
"... intended to address the lack of pooling, snapshots, checksums and
integral multi-device spanning"
"it offers improvements in scalability, reliability, and ease of management"

In short, if you expected btrfs to be significantly faster (than ext4, for
example) for general use, you probably ought to adjust your expectations.

-- rex