unstable libreoffice

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Jul 23 00:44:07 UTC 2013

Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:51:04PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> Martin Skjöldebrand <shieldfire at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> >  Is anyone else seeing a horribly unstable Libreoffice in Fedora 19?
>>
>> I decided against using it quite some time ago because even simple
>> things like mailmerge didn't work, and trying to program something would
>> have required unreasonable learning efforts and appeared not to be
>> feasible anyway because one bug after the other would have needed a
>> workaround.  It would have taken me nowhere.
>
> Did you think that the devs were sitting around drinking coffee and
> watching pr0n in the time since you gave up on it? Considerable progress
> has been made in "quite some time".

hopefully so

>> LaTeX works great for what I'm doing, and I didn't bother to install LO
>> on Fedora.  Give it ten years or so, and LO might be usable.
>
> Ten years? Give me a break.

Yes, ten years.  That gives them plenty of time to add features and to
get them to work reliably.

> There are thousands of people using it right now with great
> satisfaction. If you haven't checked to see what has been fixed you
> aren't entitled to make that statement.

It turned out to be incredibly buggy, and the devs seemed to be more
interested in implementing new features than in fixing bugs.  Just give
it some time and don't be surprised when it crashes; what's the problem
with that?  We do not know what these "thousands of people" use it for
and what it takes to satisfy them, so what.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)