Install fc18 from DVD demands network connection

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 23 15:08:19 UTC 2013

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 02:01:43PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> This is back, <sigh> again. Having found out that fedup fails
>> totally to work on drives with encrypted partitions,
>
> I don't think this is still the case: I did F18->F19 on my laptop
> (encrypted /home and swap) using fedup and it worked just fine.

Not sure what you mean by "still the case," it was as of 1PM yesterday when I
posted, and since it's burned on DVD I doubt it's changes. Some systems refuse
to install without network.

That was the response I got when I reported the bug before, "Can't reproduce"
and "WFM" don't cover the ground with anything but a hard fail on all systems.
And "you must be doing something wrong" really doesn't fit a process which
consists of "load DVD" followed by "power on." I've been installing Linux since
it hit usenet in 91 or so, and it works on other systems. It's clearly a Fedora
bug, does not happen on the same machine with Mint, Ubuntu, or Puppy, and the
other machine which has this issue installed Slackware fine. Note: after
installing Slackware the problem went away, installing Ubentu didn't fix the
machine of interest.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>