OpenVPN disapeared

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Tue Jul 23 15:42:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Bill Oliver wrote:
>
>> Are you using NetworkManager?  If so, make sure that the package
>> NetworkManager-openvpn is installed, along with (of course) openvpn an the
>> appropriate desktop widget (i.e. for me using KDE, it's
>> kde-plasma-networkmanagement-openvpn and kde-plasma-nm-openvpn)
>
> As a matter of interest, what is the point of NetworkManager-openvpn?
> I'm running NetworkManager under Fedora-19/KDE on my laptop,
> and I'm also running OpenVPN.
> Both seem to be working fine,
> so what is the point of installing NetworkManager-openvpn?

It lets me control VPN using the "Manage Connections" button on the KDE NetworkManager widget -- whatever that's called.  Otherwise I have to configure and run it by hand, and I'm too lazy to do that.  This way, I just choose "Manage Connections" -> VPN -> Import and choose my config file.

My VPN provider actually gives me three or four location options, and some are faster than others on any given day.  Using NetworkManager allows me to switch between them with a mouse click.

billo