OpenVPN disapeared

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Tue Jul 23 23:07:32 UTC 2013

Bill Oliver wrote:

>> As a matter of interest, what is the point of NetworkManager-openvpn?
>> I'm running NetworkManager under Fedora-19/KDE on my laptop,
>> and I'm also running OpenVPN.
>> Both seem to be working fine,
>> so what is the point of installing NetworkManager-openvpn?

> It lets me control VPN using the "Manage Connections" button on the KDE
> NetworkManager widget -- whatever that's called.  Otherwise I have to
> configure and run it by hand, and I'm too lazy to do that.  This way, I
> just choose "Manage Connections" -> VPN -> Import and choose my config
> file.

What does "control VPN" mean?
I only use openvpn to login to remote computers.
What do you use it for?
If I want to login to xyz-vpn I just say "ssh -Y xyz-vpn".
Actually I've set it up so I just click on buttons
to access the remote machines I'm interested in.

> My VPN provider actually gives me three or four location options, and some
> are faster than others on any given day.  Using NetworkManager allows me
> to switch between them with a mouse click.

Do you really need a NetworkManager plugin to do that?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net